Items to Consider BEFORE Connecting Lodgix to Airbnb
- Lodgix will bill your credit card on file for 1% of every booking that originates from Airbnb, this is in addition to the Airbnb host service fee. This commission is calculated off only the nightly rate setup in Lodgix, before taxes and before the airbnb payout. Fees, taxes, etc are not utilized when calculating the 1% fee.
- Please review the Airbnb cancellation policies closely before committing to their program. Airbnb offers five different cancellation policies that are available to users of the integration. Host service fees increase if you wish to get paid earlier and have more strict cancellation policies (see below).
- Unlike our other channel integrations, Airbnb does NOT share guest credit card data with Lodgix. Lodgix will receive payout notifications, but only 24 hours after guest arrival (or 30 to 60 days before arrival depending on the cancellation policy chosen) , which is when funds are released to the subscriber by Airbnb. Payout amounts will be posted to the Lodgix invoice.
- All Airbnb payout amounts are reduced by the host service fee - which is generally 3%, but may range between 3-5% depending on the cancellation policy selected by the Host. The host service fee is calculated from the booking subtotal (before fees and taxes) and is automatically deducted from the payout to the Host.
- Lodgix cannot send any taxes or fees to Airbnb, only rates and minimum night rules. Additionally, Airbnb supports just one fee, a "Cleaning Fee". The cleaning fee can only be a flat amount. Airbnb suggests using the cleaning fee as a "catch all" fee to include any other fees which might be normally assessed to the guest. NOTE: The cleaning fee is factored into the nightly rate on the search results page. The fee is divided by the length of stay, then added to the nightly rate. For example a 3 night stay at $200 per night, with a cleaning fee of $150, will display as $250 per night including the prorated cleaning fee.
- Airbnb SUPPORTS any automated last minute discounts setup in Lodgix. Note that these discounts are not very visible on the Airbnb quote. The nightly rate is simply updated, without alerting the guest that they are receiving a discount. Additionally, Airbnb only supports discounts up to 28 days. If a last minute discount is configured for 29 days or longer, it will not be sent to Airbnb.
- Airbnb SUPPORTS any automated length of stay discounts setup in Lodgix. These discounts will appear as a line item on the Airbnb quote, alerting the guest that they are receiving a length of stay discount. NOTE: Airbnb only accepts whole numbers for the discount percentage, and all figures are rounded down. For example, a length of stay discount of 8.75% would be rounded down to 8% when it is sent to Airbnb.
- Airbnb will collect sales and use tax in many areas. To check whether your area is supported, please read this article at Airbnb.
- Full availability is synced between the two platforms. However unlike our other integrations, Airbnb does not fetch from us, we will push to them. When modifications occur on rates or availability, we queue the changes and push the data to Airbnb at various intervals throughout the day. Airbnb checks for availability with Lodgix, in real-time, before every reservation. NO ICAL IMPORTING OR EXPORTING IS NEEDED WHEN USING OUR AIRBNB INTEGRATION.
- Invoices created on Lodgix from Airbnb bookings will not always match the Airbnb invoice. It should be close in most instances, but some tweaks to your business model may be required to get the invoices to match.
If you’re new to Airbnb, please go to Airbnb and sign up for a new account.
You’ll first create an Airbnb account. Then you’ll connect your Airbnb account to your Lodgix account. Finally, you’ll use your Lodgix listings to create new Airbnb listings.
If you already have an Airbnb account, please connect your existing Airbnb account to Lodgix. Once connected you will map your Lodgix listings to your existing Airbnb listings.
It is important to note that Airbnb ALWAYS creates new listings for every property. However, these new listings are not live and they are not published. if the new listings are mapped to existing listings within Airbnb, the new listing then disappears. If a new listing does not have an existing Airbnb property to map to, then it can be published and made live on Airbnb.
Connecting an Airbnb account to Lodgix
The connection process must be initiated through Lodgix by clicking the “Connect with Airbnb” button within Lodgix at Settings > Channel Management >Integrations > Airbnb. Note that a certified phone number is requried at Airbnb to connect the accounts.
Sign in to Airbnb using your email address and Airbnb password
Allow the connection between your PMS and Airbnb
Lodgix is connecting to Airbnb and your listings are now being imported to Airbnb. This can take a few minutes.You will receive an email from Airbnb when it is done. Click on the link in the email to finish setting up your listings on Airbnb. You may need to sign in to Airbnb again if too much time has passed.
On the Airbnb listing sync page you’ll see each listing that was imported from Lodgix.
The first thing you want to do is select which listings you want to activate on Airbnb. You can do this by checking each box individually OR by selecting all listings.
Next, go to the "What to Sync" area of the import interface.
There are two different ways to manage your Airbnb listings: “sync everything” or “limited sync.”
“Sync everything” means you will manage content, rates and availability from Lodgix.
“Limited Sync” means you will only manage rates (including per person rates), security deposits, the cleaning fee, and availability from Lodgix. With this option, you will be able to manage content within your Airbnb account and not have it overridden by Lodgix. After you make this choice, you will be able to adjust the choice at a later date. The content changes you make on Airbnb will not be pushed back to Lodgix.
Go to the Sync To Column
There are two ways to sync listings to Airbnb. Under the“Sync to” section you can:
a. choose to map a PMS listing to an existing Airbnb listing, by searching for the appropriate listing in your Airbnb account, or;
b. you can choose to Sync to a “New Listing” which will create a new listing on Airbnb
Click the Sync All Listings button in the top right corner
You can also sync individual listings using the sync button on each row.
- Lodgix will timestamp the day the feed was enabled.
- Rate/Rules Export Period: Choose how far in advance you want to export your rates. Note: If you have the Rates/Rules Export period set to 12 months or less, anything beyond 12 months will be blocked and not bookable on Airbnb. That is the best option. If you choose the 18 month option, ALL dates will be bookable. Lodgix however will only send rate / rule data for the first 18 months. Booking will be allowed for any date, however if the reservation is 18 months or greater in the future, the default rate will be used which could be significantly different than the actual rate you might have in place for that period of time.
- Booking Lead Time: Sets how far in advance of the check in time bookings will be allowed. This can be set to any time period between 1-24 hours, as well as 48, 72, or 168 hours.
- Allow Request to Book:
- Fetch Inquiries: This must be set to "Yes" to manage Airbnb messages through the Inquiries Component of Lodgix.
- Enter your Airbnb house rules
- Set your Airbnb cancellation policy.
- Rate Multiplier: You can raise the rates set in Lodgix for your listings on Airbnb. For example a rate multiplier of 1.10 will increase your rates by 10% for your Airbnb listings. The original rate set in Lodgix will still be used for all other channels.
- You can elect to set a base number of guests included in the rate, and then charge per person for additional guests beyond that number.
- Cleaning Fee: Airbnb allows one fee to be used beyond the rates you have setup for your properties. That fee can be set here. If you are using the Lodgix damage protection products, this fee will be added to any cleaning fee you set.
- Use Marketing Title: Select whether to use your property name or property marketing title as the title on Airbnb
- Status: This will show you the status of your Airbnb listing. Once it is "Created - Approved" your listing is all set.
- Create / Update button: Use this button to create the listings or sync to an existing listing on Airbnb
Airbnb cancellation policies are unrelated to Lodgix cancellation policies and are noted below. BEFORE USING AIRBNB PLEASE REVIEW THE AIRBNB CANCELLATION POLICIES CLOSELY as they are very very different than our other channel partners and also very different from the way most are accustomed to when renting a vacation rental. They are very pro-guest.
Airbnb provides the following list of amenities which we've mapped to Lodgix amenities automatically:
'Internet - Hi Speed': 'internet',
'Internet - Wireless': 'wireless_internet',
'Towels Provided': 'essentials',
'Linens Provided': 'essentials',
'Air Conditioning': 'ac',
'Washing Machine': 'washer',
'Clothes Dryer': 'dryer',
'Satellite / Cable': 'cable',
'Breakfast Included In Price': 'breakfast',
'Theme Family': 'family_friendly',
'Wheelchair Accessible': 'wheelchair_accessible',
'Communal Pool': 'pool',
'Heated Pool': 'pool',
'Private Pool': 'pool',
'Fitness Center': 'gym',
'Iron and Board': 'iron',
'Hair Dryer': 'hair-dryer'
Once you’re ready to list your properties on Airbnb, push the + Create button next to each property to create a listing for that property on Airbnb. If you’ve completed the process successfully, your listings will begin a mandatory review process prior to being live on Airbnb. Please reach out to your Airbnb market manager and request that they approve your listing(s)
Instant Book for Channel-Connected Hosts
All listings you distribute to Airbnb via Lodgix will be automatically enabled for ‘Instant Book.’ This means Airbnb will automatically confirm a guest reservation if your listing shows calendar availability for the appropriate dates. If for any reason you are uncomfortable with your guests, or if they violate your House Rules, you may work with your Market Manager to cancel the reservation without penalty.
Listing Review Process
All Airbnb listings being managed via Lodgix must meet a minimum set of criteria prior to being live on Airbnb. The process of evaluating a new listing at Airbnb is pretty much real-time and should take just a few minutes. You will be notified via email once your listings are live on the platform. If your listings were rejected, you will have an opportunity to modify the content and resubmit. As soon as your listings are approved, they will begin appearing in search results on airbnb.com.
Airbnb Listing Minimum Requirements
Airbnb expects their Channel-connected listings to meet a set of minimum content requirements, including:
- Minimum 8 characters in Listing Title
- Minimum 50 characters in Listing Description
- Minimum 70 days available with the next 365 days
- 7 or more images (there is a limit of 110 images per listing)
- At least 3 photos have a minimum resolution of 1024 x 683 pixels @ 72 dpi
- 5 or more amenities
Airbnb does not allow hosts to connect via Lodgix in select urban destinations. For more information on the minimum listing requirements or regional restrictions, please contact your Market Manager.
Instant Book and Channel-Connected Listings
All channel-connected listings are automatically enabled for “Instant Book.” There is no way to turn this off as it is a requirement of the Airbnb API. This means that a guest reservation inquiry will be instantly confirmed as long as your listing calendar shows availability. Airbnb listings enabled for Instant Book convert at a rate almost 2x higher than a listing that requires hosts to confirm a reservation. It also boosts your performance in the Airbnb search ranking.
If for any reason you are uncomfortable with your guest, or they violate your host rules, you may cancel your reservation without penalty. Please reach out to your Market Managers for support or questions regarding Instant Booking reservations.
Once an Airbnb booking is confirmed, a guest will be able to view the property address, check-in instructions, and House Manual on the Airbnb platform. Airbnb will also provide you with the guest’s phone number details, and share your preferred phone number with the guest to facilitate better communication before and during your trip.
Airbnb generates a platform-specific email alias for each user that can be emailed directly. This means you can communicate to guests without logging into the Airbnb platform. This email address expires 2 weeks (14 days) after a trip is complete.
Excluding Airbnb Reservations from Lodgix Triggers
Because Airbnb does not share guest credit card data and instead collects guest payments themselves, Lodgix invoicing and guest communications can be distrupted. It will be important for users of the Airbnb integration to exclude Airbnb reservations from many of their normal guest communication processes, especially those emails related to payment due remainders, etc..
Please make sure to add an exception to all triggers in Lodgix in which you do not wish Airbnb guests to receive those emails.
Smart pricing must be turned off within your Airbnb listing. Failure to disable smart pricing will fail to sync the rates setup in Lodgix with your Airbnb listing.
City registrations are sometimes required in areas where the municipality is mandating that all VR managers / owners register their property and display the license id on all listing sites. If this applies, the registration code must be entered from within the Airbnb dashboard for each property.
Airbnb Standard Fees
When a Lodgix account is integrated with Airbnb, the only fee that is allowed through the integration is one catchall "cleaning fee". This fee is set for each property on the Airbnb integration page and is noted as a separate line item from the nightly rate when the guest is checking out on Airbnb.
Airbnb also allows listings to include Standard Fees. These fees can be itemized separately on the admin back end, to be more in line with a property managers pricing structure. However, the fees are not itemized for the guest... they are simply added to the nightly rate for the property. The guest never sees the fees, only a higher nightly rate. Standard Fees are available when listing directly with Airbnb, but are NOT SUPPORTED by the Lodgix integration.
Disconnecting Lodgix from Airbnb
Once you've connected Lodgix to Airbnb that connection can only be turned off within Airbnb.
- Login to your Airbnb account
- Navigate to your Hosting Dashboard > then to Listings > then to Lodgix Sync
- Click on the Already Published link
- Next to each property that is connected to Lodgix, to the far right, are three dots, click on them and choose the "Stop Sync" option, this must be done for each property.
Alternatively, go here: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/sync and Stop Syncing any listing you iwish to disconnect from Lodgix.
After the listing has been unlinked, you must go to this page: https://www.airbnb.com/hosting/listings
On the right menu, click Edit. Then on the bottom of the page, it should say "Listing Status: Listed". If listing is unlinked, then the "Edit" button next to this will not be disabled. Click on Edit and on the next page click the "Permanently deactivate listing" link (or change status to unlisted). After answering a question, it should be deactivated.
Help! My Airbnb reservation doesn't match my Lodgix invoice after the dates of the reservation have been changed. (or the assigned property has changed).
Airbnb requires that any changes to the guest reservation must be done AT AIRBNB. The guest must accept the reservation change at Airbnb. Once accepted by the guest, Airbnb will notify Lodgix of the change and the invoice will adjust on Lodgix.
It is not possible to edit the dates (or reassign to a different property) of an Airbnb invoice on Lodgix for this reason. When the guest accepts the change and Airbnb then reaches out to Lodgix to update the guest invoice, if the dates for the selected change are not available, then and error will be generated and the update will not be accepted at Airbnb.
The dates will be need to be cleared on Lodgix, and the reservation change request made again at Airbnb. Once the guest accepts the reservation change request, Airbnb will again attempt to update Lodgix with the changes. The changes should then go through and the Lodgix invoice will update to accurately reflect the change on Airbnb.