Items to Consider BEFORE Connecting Lodgix to Airbnb
- Lodgix will bill your credit card on file for 1% of every booking that originates from Airbnb, this is in addition to the Airbnb host service fee.
- Please review the Airbnb cancellation policies closely before committing to their program. Airbnb offers five different cancellation polcies that are available to users of the integration. Host service fees increase if you wish to get paid earlier and have more strict cancellation policies (see below).
- Unlike our other channel integrations, Airbnb does NOT share guest credit card data with Lodgix. Lodix will receive payout notifications, but only 24 hours after guest arrival (or 30 to 60 days before arrival depending on the cancellation policy chosen) , which is when funds are released to the subscriber by Airbnb. Payout amounts will be posted to the Lodgix invoice.
- All Airbnb payout amounts are reduced by the host service fee - which is generally 3%, but may range between 3-5% depending on the cancellation policy selected by the Host. The host service fee is calculated from the booking subtotal (before fees and taxes) and is automatically deducted from the payout to the Host.
- Lodgix cannot send any taxes or fees to Airbnb, only rates and minimum night rules. Additionally, AirBnB supports just one fee, a "Cleaning Fee". The cleaning fee can only be a flat amount. Airbnb suggests using the cleaning fee as a "catch all" fee to include any other fees which might be normally assessed to the guest.
- Airbnb will collect any sales and use tax in many areas. To check whether your area is supported, please read this article at Airbnb.
- Full availability is synced between the two platforms. However unlike our other integrations, Airbnb does not fetch from us, we will push to them. When modifications occur on rates or availability, we queue the changes and push the data to Airbnb at various intervals throughout the day. AirBnB checks for availability with Lodgix, in real-time, before every reservation. NO ICAL IMPORTING OR EXPORTING IS NEEDED WHEN USING OUR AIRBNB INTEGRATION.
- Invoices created on Lodgix from Airbnb bookings will probably not match the Airbnb invoice. This is because we are not sending any taxes or fees to Airbnb. Only rates, so it's likely the invoices won't match.
- Airbnb does not want inventory from all areas. If your community is currently experiencing legal issues with vacation rentals and / or Airbnb in particular, odds are good they will not accept your listings. The list is mostly comprised of very large cities like New York City.
Reach out to your Market Manager
Whether you’re new to the Airbnb platform or have listed before, you must reach out to your Airbnb Market Manager as a first step. You can contact them by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org .
Your Market Manager will be able to provide you with an overview of the Airbnb platform, give you insight to listing performance in your region, and assist with any questions you might have as you activate your listings. They can also provide valuable information regarding best practices for listing management and conversion optimization.
Create a new Airbnb account
Every host connecting through Lodgix must create a new Airbnb account—even if your listings are already on Airbnb. While we can’t connect your existing listings to Lodgix, your Market Manager can help you transfer reviews or Superhost status to your new connected account as needed.
You must initiate the connection process through Lodgix, either via your Account Manager contact or by clicking the “Connect with Airbnb” button within Lodgix at Settings > Channel Management > Airbnb.
As part of the Account Creation process, you’ll be asked to agree to Airbnb’s Terms of Service, setup a profle photo and finally to authorize Lodgix to access your account.
Enter your account details and preferred email address. If your preferred email address is associated with an existing Airbnb account, you must remove the email address from your old account before adding it to your new, channel-connected account. Once you’ve created your account and agreed to Airbnb’s Terms of Service, you’ll be redirected back into Lodgix to connect your properties.
Connect your properties to Airbnb
- Lodgix will timestamp the day the feed was enabled.
- Rate/Rules Export Period: Choose how far in advance you want to export your rates. Note: If you have the Rates/Rules Export period set to 12 months or less, anything beyond 12 months will be blocked and not bookable on Airbnb. That is the best option. If you choose the 18 month option, ALL dates will be bookable. Lodgix however will only send rate / rule data for the first 18 months. Booking will be allowed for any date, however if the reservation is 18 months or greater in the future, the default rate will be used which could be significantly different than the actual rate you might have in place for that period of time.
- Enter your Airbnb house rules
- Set your Airbnb cancellation policy.
- Rate Multiplier: You can raise the rates set in Lodgix for your listings on Airbnb. For example a rate multiplier of 1.10 will increase your rates by 10% for your Airbnb listings. The original rate set in Lodgix will still be used for all other channels.
- You can elect to set a base number of guests included in the rate, and then charge per person for additional guests beyond that number.
- Cleaning Fee: Airbnb allows one fee to be used beyond the rates yoru have setup for your properties. That fee can be set here.
- Use Marketing Title: Select whether to use your property name or property marketing title as the title on Airbnb
- Status: This will show you the status of your Airbnb listing. Once it is "Created - Approved" your listing is all set.
Airbnb cancellation policies are unrelated to Lodgix cancellation polciies and are noted below. BEFORE USING AIRBNB PLEASE REVIEW THE AIRBNB CANCELLATION POLICIES CLOSELY as they are very very different than our other channel partners and also very different from the way most are accustomed to when renting a vacation rental. They are very pro-guest.
Airbnb provides the following list of amenities which we've mapped to Lodgix amenities automatically:
'Internet - Hi Speed': 'internet',
'Internet - Wireless': 'wireless_internet',
'Towels Provided': 'essentials',
'Linens Provided': 'essentials',
'Air Conditioning': 'ac',
'Washing Machine': 'washer',
'Clothes Dryer': 'dryer',
'Satellite / Cable': 'cable',
'Breakfast Included In Price': 'breakfast',
'Theme Family': 'family_friendly',
'Wheelchair Accessible': 'wheelchair_accessible',
'Communal Pool': 'pool',
'Heated Pool': 'pool',
'Private Pool': 'pool',
'Fitness Center': 'gym',
'Iron and Board': 'iron',
'Hair Dryer': 'hair-dryer'
Once you’re ready to list your properties on Airbnb, push the + Create button next to each property to create a listing for that property on Airbnb. If you’ve completed the process successfully, your listings will begin a mandatory review process prior to being live on Airbnb. Please reach out to your Airbnb market manager and request that they approve your listing(s)
Instant Book for Channel-Connected Hosts
All listings you distribute to Airbnb via Lodgix will be automatically enabled for ‘Instant Book.’ This means Airbnb will automatically confirm a guest reservation if your listing shows calendar availability for the appropriate dates. If for any reason you are uncomfortable with your guests, or if they violate your House Rules, you may work with your Market Manager to cancel the reservation without penalty.
Listing Review Process
All Airbnb listings being managed via Lodgix must meet a minimum set of criteria prior to being live on Airbnb. The process of evaluating a new listing at Airbnb may take up to seven (7) business days. You will be notified via email once your listings are live on the platform. If your listings were rejected, you will have an opportunity to modify the content and resubmit. As soon as your listings are approved, they will begin appearing in search results on airbnb.com.
Airbnb Listing Minimum Requirements
Airbnb expects their Channel-connected listings to meet a set of minimum content requirements, including:
- Minimum 8 characters in Listing Title
- Minimum 50 characters in Listing Description
- Minimum 70 days available with the next 365 days
- 7 or more images
- At least 3 photos have a minimum resolution of 1024 x 683 pixels @ 72 dpi
- 5 or more amenities
Airbnb does not allow hosts to connect via Lodgix in select urban destinations. For more information on the minimum listing requirements or regional restrictions, please contact your Market Manager.
Transferring Reviews to Your New Account
If you have been managing your listings through a manual Airbnb account, your Market Manager can help you transfer any reviews to your new, Channel-connected account. You can initiate this process as soon as the connected listings are live on the platform. Please note that the review transfer process is a 1:1 host transfer: Airbnb cannot transfer reviews from a single host account across multiple Channel-connected accounts, or consolidate reviews across multiple accounts into a single host account. Once this transfer process is complete, please deactivate the listings tied to your manually-managed account to avoid duplicate listings on the Airbnb platform. Please note that listing and reservation data will not be transferred over as part of this review transfer process, so there may be a period of time where you are managing reservations across 2 different accounts.
Note: if you are a Superhost transitioning over to an API-managed account, please alert your Market Manager of your Superhost status. They will be able to provide additional recommendations for the transfer process that will avoid jeopardizing your Superhost standing.
Instant Book and Channel-Connected Listings
All channel-connected listings are automatically enabled for “Instant Book.” This means that a guest reservation inquiry will be instantly confirmed as long as your listing calendar shows availability. Airbnb listings enabled for Instant Book convert at a rate almost 2x higher than a listing that requires hosts to confirm a reservation. It also boosts your performance in the Airbnb search ranking.
If for any reason you are uncomfortable with your guest, or they violate your host rules, you may cancel your reservation without penalty. Please reach out to your Market Managers for support or questions regarding Instant Booking reservations.
Managing Guest Communications
Airbnb guests and hosts may communicate with each other via the Airbnb messaging platform. Today, Airbnb does not pass messaging data through their API, which means you may not be able to manage your Airbnb messages via Lodgix.
To respond to guest messages, you can log into airbnb.com and reply via your user inbox. We also recommend configuring your account to receive email and/or text notifications every time a guest contacts you. You can set this up by navigating to the “Account Settings” portion of your account. Any users with email notifications enabled can respond to Airbnb messages by replying directly to email notification. Airbnb does not allow for hosts to use the message system to transfer contact information like email addresses, phone numbers or links to direct websites prior to a confirmed booking.
Once an Airbnb booking is confirmed, a guest will be able to view the property address, check-in instructions, and House Manual on the Airbnb platform. Airbnb will also provide you with the guest’s phone number details, and share your preferred phone number with the guest to facilitate better communication before and during your trip.
Airbnb generates a platform-specific email alias for each user that can be emailed directly. This means you can communicate to guests without logging into the Airbnb platform. This email address expires 2 weeks (14 days) after a trip is complete.
Excluding Airbnb Reservations from Lodgix Triggers
Because Airbnb does not share guest credit card data and instead collects guest payments themselves, Lodgix invoicing and guest communications can be distrupted. It will be important for users of the Airbnb integration to exclude Airbnb reservations from many of their normal guest communication processes, especially those emails related to payment due remainders, etc..
Please make sure to add an exception to all triggers in Lodgix in which you do not wish Airbnb guests to receive those emails.